The everyday norms of motherhood creates exhaustion. Add that to this general sense of unease that our world is experiencing right now … and, well …
I’m sure you feel it … the clock is tick, tick, ticking.
- Clean this.
- Write that.
- Make those.
- Go here.
- Call her.
- Buy that.
- Schedule this.
- Toss that.
The clever man who invented the clock really did a fine job but it would have been nice if he thought of busy mothers when he made it. Imagine what it would be like if the numbers went all the way up to 15 or 16 o’clock!
Then we’d finally have the time to get everything done — and finally get enough time to take care of ourselves, too.
Actually, let’s face it: We still wouldn’t have enough time.
Because the truth is that time is all we have right now and we rarely use it properly.
How we use time is what matters and if you are anything like me you are already wondering how you can do a better job with time in the New Year.
So where does our time go?
Perhaps some of these little bits of energy zappers stand out for you in your own life. I know they have for hundreds of other mamas who have participated in The Abundant Mama Project program over the years.
- We think too much. We over-analyze situations. We read into people’s thoughts and behaviors. We focus on our faults — and others’ faults. We spend countless hours on matters we cannot change.
- We worry too much. We put too much energy and time into things like what our child is wearing, eating, not eating, saying, not saying. We put too much time into who is doing what, how hasn’t done what and what needs to be done next.
- We’re too focused on others. What is he thinking? Why is she crying? When will she finally walk/talk/be potty trained? Why is he miserable? When will he help me more? Afraid to say no, we say yes to far too much.
- We plan too much. We’re very, very busy striving for perfection so we can snap a picture of it and put it on Facebook. The perfect meal. The perfect craft. The perfect living room arrangement and decor. The perfect outfit. Just what are we going to do that is so amazing today?
- We try to do too much. If we could just do the laundry, finish that project, walk the dog, play a game with the kids, make dinner, read the library book that’s overdue and take an hour to work out this morning we’d be just fine. Really.
All of this mental work your brain is doing all day thinking about everyone else is actually eating up YOUR time and it’s depleting you of YOUR energy.
And all that mental work is also more likely to make you feel things like guilt, shame, anger and fear.
All of the time you spend living and feeling in those kinds of negative emotions is your life.
And your life is passing quickly.
Your time is sacred.
Your time is precious.
Your time is a gift.
I want you to start treating it as such.
I want you to start doing this life differently.
I want you to take BOLD ACTION to do things differently.
I want you to REVOLT against the norms of motherhood and start realizing that self-care isn’t a dirty word and self-discovery isn’t a guilty pleasure. It’s the way home to feeling more peaceful, more playful and more energized for this life each day.
You can hear me talk about this topic on the latest Abundant Mama Show on iTunes or below. Learn more about how to start your Abundant Mama Journey HERE.