“Joy is a marvelous increasing of what exists, a pure addition out of nothingness.” ― Rainer Maria Rilke
Lately, I’ve been thinking about one thing.
And how I just want to feel joy. Every day.
I was in a church service this past weekend that focused on developing a daily joy practice.
You know, all those things you can do to make yourself happy.
Except what if you don’t know what makes you feel joyful anymore?
That seems to be the case for a lot of women who have lost themselves in the trenches of motherhood, diaper changes, messy meals and piles of laundry and to-do lists.
As the divine Sufi poet Rumi wrote:
“If you knew yourself for even one moment,
if you could just glimpse
your most beautiful face,
maybe you wouldn’t slumber so deeply
in that house of clay.
Why not move into your house of joy
and shine into every crevice!
For you are the secret
and always have been.
Didn’t you know?”
Many of my clients struggle with knowing what real joy feels like because, as moms, they are so busy taking care of everyone else. And at the end of the day, rather than sink into that ultra nurturing activity that fills them up, they just crash into bed.
Only to do it all again the next day.
Wash. Rinse. Repeat.
Finding and keeping our joy is a journey that begins when we are children and then gets totally disrupted while raising children. We no longer have the freedom or the resources to surrender to true joy … so our choices are much more simple and, therefore, can be difficult to find and stick to.
But it is not impossible.
The journey to joy is a path filled with self-discovery and digging deep to just understand the woman we are now that we are mothers and a curiosity and interest in the woman we are becoming.
And when we finally get it — understand ourselves — we reach that state of wholeness we crave and need to feel true joy.
Finding your joy should be really simple and not something that is hard to fit into a busy day with children.
Finding and keeping joy for modern families is not always easy, though.
- First of all, we have all of this easy access to other peoples’ lives and their joy that can make us feel less than, like our life is not as good.
- We have long commutes that make for really long days and lots of family disorganization.
- We have a really high cost of living that leave us penny pinching that only creates more stress.
- And then there’s those demands of raising modern children who have too many distractions.
- And we have to face their temper tantrums. And their NOs. And their agendas. And their random fears and anxieties that take over our day (or week).
So, at the end of a really hard day, it can be difficult to dig deep and find joy as mothers.
Our joy really is only as big as our children’s joy each day.
Or so it seems.
That’s exactly why I absolutely adore the conversations I have with moms who are ready to change that.
When we feel lost in motherhood and chores and everyday tasks, we forget that we have dreams and desires deep within us that need to see the light.
The problem is that you are so busy being busy that you can’t even figure out what brings you immense happiness.
You’re just surviving.
Discovering what brings you real, authentic joy should be your main mission in life. But why?
- You deserve to feel really whole. Period. Even in the hardest times. You are here on this earth to feel joy. No challenge big or small should strip you of your right to feel whole and joyful.
- Your family life will be easier and more pleasant if you are filled with joy in bursts through your day and as often as possible.
- Role modeling joy just means more joy spreads through your family. And then through your community. And then through the world.
- Your child deserves to know how to find joy themselves and you can be their Joy Leader.
The path starts here.
And the quest is a journey to your own wholeness.
Ready to start your journey to wholeness — Book a FREE 30-Minute Coaching Discovery Call with me right now. During this mini-coaching session you’ll have a better sense of what you need and desire from this one precious life of yours. BOOK YOUR SESSION NOW