I was on a boat on the lake surrounded by mountains in late July and it was just so beautiful. Instantly, my shoulders fell away from my ears and all my stress from the past months melted away.
At my core, I was as relaxed as you can get.
And I realized then that I had been taking life too seriously. I hadn’t had someone shake me by the shoulders and say wake up, wake up … it’s time to enjoy life more.
I was caring for myself. I was doing what needed to be done to be well. Life FELT fine enough.
But I wasn’t living light. And, I wasn’t having much fun doing any of it.
That is why I wanted to bring this conversation of taking life too seriously to the forefront this week.
Because let’s face it, as mothers we take our jobs so seriously.
And while that is a WONDERFUL thing, we also deserve and are worthy to lighten up and enjoy this one, precious life that we get. (Thank you, Mary Oliver.)
Our responsibilities are enormous. You know, like keeping children safe, happy, healthy and thriving. No big deal. 🙂
Work like meeting deadlines, appeasing partners and bosses, making meals, picking up groceries, making all the doctor’s appointments and driving to them, etc.
Jobs like keeping the house clean and orderly, knowing who’s birthdays are when and how to celebrate and, of course, planning all the special fun.
But even when we are trying to have fun it can all feel still too heavy to truly relax.
That’s likely because you’re taking life too seriously.
And this is normal for a busy, go-getter woman. So. Normal. We just need to snap out of it now and then and remember that we’re here to have fun, to enjoy life and dive into this one, precious life.
11 Signs You’re Taking Life Too Seriously
- You can’t remember the last time you laughed. I mean really laughed.
- Your cheeks hurt if you have to smile for a long time — from lack of use.
- You don’t find anything funny.
- You can’t laugh at your own mistakes. Or other people’s …
- When I ask if you are in the Land of Bitter and Sour, you know what I’m talking about. 🙂
- You can’t remember the last time you tried something new.
- The idea of surprises makes you nauseous.
- You get really upset when people don’t follow the rules. And by rules I mean your rules.
- The words doing nothing and rest are offensive to you.
- You think the word pleasure only means sex
- You never, ever feel like you are enough or you have enough or do enough.
We need to remember to wake ourselves up, to inject joy and pleasure and happiness into our lives before it’s too late. It doesn’t just show up and we certainly can’t wait for others to do it for us.
So many of my coaching clients and group coaching community members desperately want to be more playful. They want to exude joy.
That’s hard to do if we keep doing the same things over and over again.
If we want to lighten up, to be more fun and more joyful, we need to take the right actions to BE just that.
Listen to more on this conversation in this week’s episode of The Abundant Mama Show Podcast now.
Sign up for the Abundant Mama’s Playful Mama Camp, a 14-day online course designed to wake you up and get you feeling alive and, of course, more playful! Learn more here.